MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials who have attracted much attention in recent years, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and also have shown broad application prospects in many fields. The following is a comprehensive introduction to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is actually a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material composed of M, A, X elements in the periodic table, collectively referred to as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, including titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the key group elements, such as aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer consists of M, A, X, the three elements of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Due to their electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, these are widely used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding as well as other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is a new type of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, consisting of three elements with all the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers back to the transition metal, A refers back to the main-group elements, and X refers back to the aspects of C and N. The MXene material is really a graphene-like structure obtained through the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. Max Phase material are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made up of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the superb physical properties of MAX materials make them have an array of applications in structural materials. For example, Ti3SiC2 is a very common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which could be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials will also be found in functional materials. For example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and can be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. In addition, some MAX materials also have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which is often found in energy materials. For instance, K4(MP4)(P4) is one of the MAX materials rich in ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which bring a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What are MXene materials?
MXene materials are a new kind of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, like the structure of graphene. The outer lining of MXene materials can interact with more functional atoms and molecules, as well as a high specific surface area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation strategies for MXene materials usually are the etching treatment of the MAX phase and also the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties including electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics may be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials certainly are a new form of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials composed of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, including high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., along with good chemical stability and the ability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and they are commonly used in energy storage and conversion. As an example, MXene materials can be used electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Furthermore, MXene materials may also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to improve the activity and stability in the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be utilized in electromagnetic protection. For instance, MXene materials bring electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, and other applications in electronic products and personal protection, boosting the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be utilized in sensing and detection. For instance, MXene materials can be used as gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which could realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. Furthermore, MXene materials could also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics and other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Later on, using the continuous progress of science and technology and also the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application areas of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved. The following aspects can become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mostly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. In the future, new preparation technologies and methods could be further explored to understand a far more efficient, energy-saving and environmentally friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is already high, there is however still room for more optimization. Down the road, the composition, structure, surface treatment and other elements of the fabric can be studied and improved comprehensive to boost the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials happen to be commonly used in many fields, but you can still find many potential application areas to get explored. Later on, they could be further expanded, like in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection along with other fields.
In summary, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in lots of fields. Using the continuous progress of science and technology and also the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.